Skip to main content

Self Publishing: Mastering Your Social Front

Here are some marketing tips to get you ahead of the game when you're promoting yourself as a published author. I've left the juiciest tip until the end. Read on.

Pick a style. Do you use primary colours or do you use secondary or tertiary colours? Are your graphics dark, are they light? Are they faded or are they harsh? Are you modern or rustic?

Have a look at my Instagram feed for an example:


The answers for me are: tertiary colours, light graphics, faded, and rustic. Partially because that's my natural style, and doing something forced long-term isn't ideal. But partially because my books are set in a medieval setting, and old wood, rusty nails, and faded photos speak of the past.

Edit these graphics from your phone. Get good at lowering and increasing your black point: it's what makes your images more harsh vs. more faded. Toggle the contrast and brightness to, again, make the image more harsh vs. more faded. Play with the shadows to add depth and intrigue, or lessen them to add clarity and make the image more visible.

Find your style and be consistent.

Now. How do I get so many graphics?

Unless you have a knack for photoshop, like I do, you probably won't get quite so many custom ones. If that's the case, you might want to take more photos than get them from the internet.

When I say get them from the internet, that does not mean off of Google Images. Unless you set a filter in Google images to only show you images you can legally use with modification, those images aren't yours to take.

Try websites like Pexels, Unsplash, or Pixabay to get free images that you can use. On top of that, however, how can you get text onto your image?

I use an app on my phone called Typorama. It was well worth the money I spent buying it once and for all. Not to mention, the Typorama user interphase has access to free images from Pixabay and Unsplash!

Make a nice website. Too many authors just hack something together in Wordpress and use it.

Compare CJ Archer's website with my own. Both are pretty, but one is more interactive and modern than the other.

On the side, I work as a graphic designer. I'm lucky enough to have the skills to create custom images, like the one below, and website graphics.


But, considering my business is founded on people without the ability to create graphics, I've seen firsthand that sometimes people don't see the difference between their basic Wordpress website and a professional website. Believe me, there's a difference.  If you don't have an artistic flare to build a nice website, find someone who does. Plus, keep it updated.

Lastly, and here's the golden tip, sign up for a social media management platform. I cannot express this enough. My marketing colleague introduced me to them and I adore social media managing platforms now.

I use Hootsuite. With Hootsuite I can publish the same post to multiple platforms at the same time.

Have you noticed that when you share your Instagram post to Twitter via Instagram, the image isn't included? You just get the text on Twitter.

By using Hootsuite, the image is included on Twitter. BUT, what's really exciting is that you can schedule posts to go out on a certain day at a certain time.

Here's what that looks like. For my book release, I pre-created a social media post promoting my book to be published to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter the morning before release day. On the day of release, I had a post pre-scheduled to be released in the morning announcing that my book was released! Not to mention, I had a post prescheduled to announce my BOGO deal through B&N.

Doesn't that sound amazing? On release day, I just got to sit back and watch the post likes come in. The best part is that all of the tips and tricks I mention above can be done from your phone.

Well, there you have it! Some beginner tips for marketing your author profile on social media. Do you have any other tricks of the trade? Share them below.

For tips and insights to building your Twitter followers from 100 to 2,000 in under three weeks, check out my post on Twitter Tips.

Happy social media-ing!


Written by M. A. Leon — Author of the Steel and Magic series
                  www.leonauthor.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengthening your writing with truth: an analysis of Harry Potter

We’ve all heard that lies are stronger when they have traces of truth. Well, the same mindset applies to writing too. Readers get more immersed and grounded in stories that contain traces of what they already know. Consider Harry Potter: a world that JK Rowling imagined into our existing world. When talking about imagination in writing, we have to give Rowling a lot of credit. The world she concocted sparks the imagination of all ages, multiple generations, and inspired some of the most popular tourist experiences in the world. Yet, did she imagine it all herself? For the most part, yes. However, Rowling built on a lot of pre-existing concepts. In fact, many of these concepts actually ground her story to make it believable. Let’s look at a few. The basilisk Originally, in Greek mythology, the basilisk was a north african serpent whose breath withered plants and killed whatever it touched. In the middle ages, the basilisk was described as a rooster with a snake’s tail . Another middle a

Designing your own covers with Adobe Photoshop

 When I first started self publishing, I figured there was no way I'd ever design my own covers. Cover artists know so many things including: The size of cover your book will need depending on which publisher you use (KDP, Ingram, Barnes and Noble, Blurb, etc.) The colour edits and variants you'll need to get your colours printing right How to make sure the text on the back of your book is legible And so many other things. I'd swore I'd never design my own cover, until... Perusing Adobe stock images, I came across the perfect image that was exactly what I wanted for my book cover. Now, consider this: I'd already spent $350USD per book cover for the three books in my series; hired a professional designer and everything. People enjoyed them, they showed my characters well... but something was never quite right. My fault, not the artist's; she gave me exactly what I asked for. Was it crazy to re-start on my own and scrap that $1,000+ I'd spent on cover art? Ini

Author Twitter Tips: The Magical 1,000

Getting to 1,000 Oh my gosh, what a journey. Before you get to 1,000 followers, don't bother tweeting on your own page; no one will see it.  To start off, I casually set a goal for me to follow ten people per day. This goal was nowhere near good enough for me to take off, but at least I was growing slowly. Then COVID-19 happened and my husband returned from his military course. That's when I actually had time to push for my magical 1,000. Not only did I have time, but I enlisted my husband. Yes, I cheated... sorry guys. I swear, my Twitter tweets are 100% authentic these days. My point is; he and I searched for all #WritingCommunity, #fantasy, #YAfantasy, and similar tweets. We checked them out, followed everyone who responded on there, were personable, showed that we enjoyed their comments... we engaged with people around the world who wrote all kinds of genres of books, blogs, and papers. What really made me love Twitter that i could ask for help. T