Skip to main content

Converting Your Book Into an eBook

To you, aspiring self-publishers, I have three words for you:

Dont. Use. Calibre.

Sorry Calibre developers; your software is amazing and I love it so so much. You're all so generous to offer it to us struggling people and I respect that more than I can express.



Unfortunately, the amount of time I spent trying to make graphics, headers, TOCs, and everything to work on all three major book platforms (Kindle, Kobo, Nook)... I spent 40+ hours in agony trying to make it all work. Over Christmas at my in-laws.

I was on Google, I looked in blogs, I went into the coding of the ebooks and tried to edit the HTML... all to no avail.

Finally someone responded to one of my desperate pleas in a forum and told me what I was looking for just wasn't ideal. Thank you, whoever you are.

In walks Vellum. Oh my gosh. One of the few pieces of software that I don't have a love-hate relationship with. Naw, it's all love for Vellum.

The down side is that, Vellum is only available on Macs. That works wonderful for me, the Mac lover that I am. But not for the other 86% of the world.

Image Source

WHAT MAKES CONVERTING AN EBOOK SO HARD? The images, that's what. Kindle doesn't support transparent .png images. I created a bunch of awesome, transparent graphics that would work in EPUB books. They looked awesome on an iPhone, having black outlines against white backgrounds and white outlines against black backgrounds:


Those graphics, even my header graphics and paragraph break graphics, get an ugly, white box around them in Kindle's .mobi files.

With Vellum, I'm able to specify which ebook platform I'd like to export to. Vellum, the clever program that it is, replaces the ornamental break graphics with asterisks (***) so they don't turn ugly in your book.

Even so, I still have two different Vellum files for each of my books. One is strictly for Kindle exports, where I removed all chapter header graphics, and the second is for all the other platforms.

I'm not a fan of .mobi, could you tell? The files crimp my style.

Also, with Calibre, I couldn't get my world map to stay on the page. Not for anything. I tried so many edits with the code. If I made the image 100% the width of my Kobo screen, it would fall off the bottom of the screen. The struggle was real.

Lastly, considering the amount of times I've exported my eBook since publishing, I'm so glad I don't have to go into the HTML code each time.

Kobo, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble all allow you to update your files whenever you choose.

Moment of confession: yes I still had a couple of remaining typos after publishing. My favourite self-published author is susceptible to those; I've found them. So, I don't kick myself too hard.

But also, since releasing my second book, I've added the first chapter of the second book to the end of my first book's eBook file. If I'd had to go through Calibre each time, fiddling with the HTML coding, I would have gone mad.

I'm going to end this post short and sweet. Even if it costs you $250, even if it costs you $500, invest in an eBook creator. It's worth it.

For Windows users, I'm sorry that I don't have a recommended solution for you. I'm a Mac girl and I don't even have a Windows computer to tamper with. Find one like Vellum; that's all I can say (and no, Vellum is not paying me to write this).

If anyone has suggestions, especially for those Windows folk, let me know in the comments below.

Happy publishing!


Written by M. A. Leon — Author of the Steel and Magic series
                  www.leonauthor.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengthening your writing with truth: an analysis of Harry Potter

We’ve all heard that lies are stronger when they have traces of truth. Well, the same mindset applies to writing too. Readers get more immersed and grounded in stories that contain traces of what they already know. Consider Harry Potter: a world that JK Rowling imagined into our existing world. When talking about imagination in writing, we have to give Rowling a lot of credit. The world she concocted sparks the imagination of all ages, multiple generations, and inspired some of the most popular tourist experiences in the world. Yet, did she imagine it all herself? For the most part, yes. However, Rowling built on a lot of pre-existing concepts. In fact, many of these concepts actually ground her story to make it believable. Let’s look at a few. The basilisk Originally, in Greek mythology, the basilisk was a north african serpent whose breath withered plants and killed whatever it touched. In the middle ages, the basilisk was described as a rooster with a snake’s tail . Another middle a

Designing your own covers with Adobe Photoshop

 When I first started self publishing, I figured there was no way I'd ever design my own covers. Cover artists know so many things including: The size of cover your book will need depending on which publisher you use (KDP, Ingram, Barnes and Noble, Blurb, etc.) The colour edits and variants you'll need to get your colours printing right How to make sure the text on the back of your book is legible And so many other things. I'd swore I'd never design my own cover, until... Perusing Adobe stock images, I came across the perfect image that was exactly what I wanted for my book cover. Now, consider this: I'd already spent $350USD per book cover for the three books in my series; hired a professional designer and everything. People enjoyed them, they showed my characters well... but something was never quite right. My fault, not the artist's; she gave me exactly what I asked for. Was it crazy to re-start on my own and scrap that $1,000+ I'd spent on cover art? Ini

Preparing your paperback manuscript for Ingramspark with Indesign

Oh my gosh, writers. Could there please please please be one page that tells you the settings to use in InDesign to get your files approved in Ingramspark? At least, that's what I begged Google while tugging out my hair. After hours of trial and error, here are the freaking settings for InDesign exports to Ingramspark. (With details for converting your cover image with Adobe Acrobat at the end!) Your content Document units First, before you give yourself a headache looking up picas conversions online and everything, set your document's units to inches. Go to Indesign > Preferences > Units & Increments . Set the Width and height to use inches. Document bleed Go to File > Document setup . Set your bleed to the following: Bleed Top: 0.125 in Bottom: 0.125 in Inside: 0 in Outside: 0.125 in Document export Now, to the simple juice of this article: exporting your document. Go to File > Export (or [control/command]+[E]). Set the Adobe PDF Preset to [PDF/X-3:2002] . Le