Skip to main content

Preparing your paperback manuscript for Ingramspark with Indesign

Oh my gosh, writers. Could there please please please be one page that tells you the settings to use in InDesign to get your files approved in Ingramspark?

At least, that's what I begged Google while tugging out my hair. After hours of trial and error, here are the freaking settings for InDesign exports to Ingramspark.

(With details for converting your cover image with Adobe Acrobat at the end!)

Your content

Document units

First, before you give yourself a headache looking up picas conversions online and everything, set your document's units to inches.

Go to Indesign > Preferences > Units & Increments. Set the Width and height to use inches.

Document bleed

Go to File > Document setup. Set your bleed to the following:

Bleed
  • Top: 0.125 in
  • Bottom: 0.125 in
  • Inside: 0 in
  • Outside: 0.125 in

Document export

Now, to the simple juice of this article: exporting your document.

Go to File > Export (or [control/command]+[E]).
Set the Adobe PDF Preset to [PDF/X-3:2002]. Leave the Standard as None and the Compatibility at Acrobat 4.


Here's the real lifesaver: set the compression of your images. This is assuming all of your images are of a decent resolution (to be discovered later). Set all of your images over 300 ppi to a maximum of 300ppi.

  • Color images: Average downsampling to 300 pixels per inch for images above 300 pixels per inch.
  • Grayscale images: Average downsampling to 300 pixels per inch for images above 300 pixels per inch.
  • Monochrome images: Average downsampling to 300 pixels per inch for images above 300 pixels per inch.

Uncheck Compress Text and Line Art. Leave Crop Image Data to Frames checked.


Marks and bleeds... do not enable marks and bleeds, this will leave ugly marks all over your document. However, do enable Bleed and Slug by checking the Use Document Bleed Settings box.


For output, simply choose convert to destination and set the destination to CMYK.


Export! Huzzah!

Bonus! Converting your cover

So, you've been given or have created a cover for your paperback. Unfortunately, Ingramspark is much more fussy than KDP and will vomit up any cover that's not formatted just so.

For this, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Pro. Open your PDF in Acrobat.

Go to File > Save as Other > Press Ready PDFX.


When the Save dialogue opens, click Settings. Choose Save as PDF/X-3.


Voila! Click OK and Save and you'll have yourself an Ingramspark-ready PDF.

Testing in Ingramspark

Now to test your file in Ingramspark. If you followed the steps above, your only concern with your content file should be having images that have too low of a resolution. However, by uploading your manuscript, into Ingramspark, Spark will generate a proofing PDF that will pinpoint any images that have too low of a resolution. It's up to you to find or make one with a higher resolution and plug it into your InDesign file.


Happy publishing!


Written by M. A. Leon — Author of the Steel and Magic series
                  www.leonauthor.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strengthening your writing with truth: an analysis of Harry Potter

We’ve all heard that lies are stronger when they have traces of truth. Well, the same mindset applies to writing too. Readers get more immersed and grounded in stories that contain traces of what they already know. Consider Harry Potter: a world that JK Rowling imagined into our existing world. When talking about imagination in writing, we have to give Rowling a lot of credit. The world she concocted sparks the imagination of all ages, multiple generations, and inspired some of the most popular tourist experiences in the world. Yet, did she imagine it all herself? For the most part, yes. However, Rowling built on a lot of pre-existing concepts. In fact, many of these concepts actually ground her story to make it believable. Let’s look at a few. The basilisk Originally, in Greek mythology, the basilisk was a north african serpent whose breath withered plants and killed whatever it touched. In the middle ages, the basilisk was described as a rooster with a snake’s tail . Another middle a

Designing your own covers with Adobe Photoshop

 When I first started self publishing, I figured there was no way I'd ever design my own covers. Cover artists know so many things including: The size of cover your book will need depending on which publisher you use (KDP, Ingram, Barnes and Noble, Blurb, etc.) The colour edits and variants you'll need to get your colours printing right How to make sure the text on the back of your book is legible And so many other things. I'd swore I'd never design my own cover, until... Perusing Adobe stock images, I came across the perfect image that was exactly what I wanted for my book cover. Now, consider this: I'd already spent $350USD per book cover for the three books in my series; hired a professional designer and everything. People enjoyed them, they showed my characters well... but something was never quite right. My fault, not the artist's; she gave me exactly what I asked for. Was it crazy to re-start on my own and scrap that $1,000+ I'd spent on cover art? Ini

Author Twitter Tips: The Magical 1,000

Getting to 1,000 Oh my gosh, what a journey. Before you get to 1,000 followers, don't bother tweeting on your own page; no one will see it.  To start off, I casually set a goal for me to follow ten people per day. This goal was nowhere near good enough for me to take off, but at least I was growing slowly. Then COVID-19 happened and my husband returned from his military course. That's when I actually had time to push for my magical 1,000. Not only did I have time, but I enlisted my husband. Yes, I cheated... sorry guys. I swear, my Twitter tweets are 100% authentic these days. My point is; he and I searched for all #WritingCommunity, #fantasy, #YAfantasy, and similar tweets. We checked them out, followed everyone who responded on there, were personable, showed that we enjoyed their comments... we engaged with people around the world who wrote all kinds of genres of books, blogs, and papers. What really made me love Twitter that i could ask for help. T